Monday 12 April is the second key date in the lockdown roadmap, as non-essential retail is allowed to fully reopen and pubs with outdoor spaces can welcome customers. Together with the rules on meeting up to six people or two different households outside, we are looking forward to more freedom and seeing footfall in the town centre increase.
Over the past 12 months of lockdown, our local shops and businesses have been there for the community more than ever, offering residents a lifeline with home deliveries and online events to tackle the lockdown blues. Now that schools have reopened, and we will be able to meet with one person outdoors from 29th March hopefully the gradual easing of lockdown measures will put a spring back into our step.
Some of our highlight this month include:
- Arnold Lodge has refurbished their ballroom, bar and restaurant ready for when they can host events again.
- Revelicious celebrated their fifth anniversary for their Churchside Arcade shop.
- The Annex Studios celebrated their second anniversary of their salon opening in Sheep Street.
- Rugby Art Gallery & Museum added the Rugby Open 2020 online and made original artworks from the exhibition available to purchase from the Visitor Centre shop.
It may be lockdown still but love is still in the air in Rugby. Our local shops and businesses are going out of their way to ensure that we can still show partners, family and friends that we care about them. It is essential that we all do the right thing for Rugby. We know so many people and businesses are making huge sacrifices to contribute towards controlling this pandemic. Let’s continue to do our part in ensuring we minimise its impact on Rugby by minimising the number of people we see, washing our hands regularly, wearing a face covering and keeping a distance from others.
Some of our town highlights this month include:
- Edward Knights were voted the Best Estate Agent in Rugby by Right Move.
- Terracotta featured in The Times The Best Boutiques To Shop Online During Lockdown.
- Rugby Advertiser featured Hunt’s Bookshop’s Books For Children Fund which aims to raise £1,000 to give children from low income families new books.
- Complete estate agents celebrated their 16th anniversary of their first business in Rugby.
- Negrills Caribbean takeaway in partnership with Nu Gen Care delivered food parcels to local vulnerable families.
- Uber Eats gave Hill Murry a Local Legends badgefor being a popular takeaway choice.
- Baylis & Peet hairdressers launched a new online shop.
- Our round up of 14 ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day can be viewed here.
We’re starting 2021 with the coronavirus pandemic still looming over us and lockdown measures in place. Yet despite these difficulties our resilient local retailers and businesses are continuing to operate safely within COVID-19 guidelines.
Have you told your friends about your favourite small businesses? Whether it’s an online yoga class, food delivery service or birthday gifts, let’s share #shoplocal recommendations to support Rugby town centre businesses and our local communities.
As we come out of Lockdown 2.0 and enter new restrictions, we hope that Christmas will provide us all with a bit of festive cheer in what has been an incredibly challenging year. So we have sprinkled this month’s bog with seasonal goodwill.
Our business news this month includes:
- Congratulations to Red Brick’s Kat Ellerker, awarded Best Letting agent in Rugby 2020 All Agents People Awards for Customer Experience.
- La Casa Loco and Inside the 22 featured in lifestyle blog Muddy Stilettos top takeaway guide.
- Rugby Unwrapped, Wild & Free, The Stottie Shop and Adee’s Spud Van were interviewed by the Rugby Advertiser on the first day of Lockdown 2.0.
- House of Cards has a new e-commerce website launching at the beginning of December.
As we approach our second lockdown, Rugby town centre businesses are not letting the challenges of COVID-19 stop them from providing the best customer service:
- Five Star Theatre was named Best Theatre Production House 2020 in the SME News 2020 Midlands Enterprise Awards.
- The Courthouse ran an offer on kids meals during October half-term.
- Terracotta boutique launched their new website https://terracotta.boutique
- Niki-Lus shoe shop began to stock a new range of soy candles from a local maker.
- The new website page for Bloom. Space Rugby co-working space went live https://www.bloom.space/rugby
- Congratulations to Steven and Esther from Complete Estate Agents, who have been awarded Gold and Silver Awards for Five Star Customer Service in Estate Agency in Rugby and surrounding villages.
- Clair Saxon (Co-owner of from Rugby Unwrapped) became a new Rugby First Board Member.