The Government has announced that from Friday 24 July is will be mandatory to wear a facemask / covering inside shops and supermarkets. For people failing to do so, the police will be able to issue a fine of up to £100.
We are no longer issuing our weekly coronavirus email, but we will continue to add Government announcements and news of business grants and support to our website, so please check this page for updates.
Coming out of lockdown,
the town centre is seeing slow and steady footfall with a wave of activities from
- Morgan Sindall has been appointed to build a new school at Rugby Houlton.
- Bloom serviced office space in North Street is still planning to open.
- Yum Yum World has completed a 6,000 sq ft letting of the former Poundland shop in Sheep Street.
- Craft Inn on Chapel Street, a new bar, opened for takeout.
- The Nest achieved their crowdfunding target to open a new, bigger, shop in High Street.
- A new takeaway Greek Zante Street opened on North Street.
- The former Sonrisa shop on High Street has been let.
- Rugby market has reopened on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Albie & Lonnies in Regent Street has launched a new womenswear section.
- Quigleys pub in Albert Street is opening a new terrace at the rear of the property, The Courthouse pub in North Street, The Alexandra Tavern in James Street, The Distillery Bar in North Street and William Webb Ellis pub on Warwick Street have all refurbished their gardens and outdoor areas after lockdown.
Director Rich Warren says: “Although it has been stressful and unpredictable
few months, the coronavirus lockdown has shown us just how powerful the town
centre community can be when we all collaborate together. Most notably on the
temporary road changes in the town centre, where our levy payers successfully
argued the case for the removal of the controversial traffic system.
with businesses COVID-secure measures so that they could reopen safely has been
a huge focus for us over the last four months. I would like to thank Rugby
First’s team of CCTV operatives, Rangers and cleaners that have not stopped
throughout this awful situation, keeping our town and businesses safe and clean,
as well as supporting those businesses that were able to trade.
that more businesses have reopened we are seeing just how flexible and
innovative they have been in adapting to COVID-19, from introducing new
collection and delivery services to boosting their digital presence to welcome
both existing and new customers.
virus has not gone away, so we all still need to do our bit to keep ourselves
and our customers safe, none the less and we will be working hard to support
you and to create a welcoming environment in the town centre.”
Rugby First is running an advertising campaign to reassure customers that our town
centre retailers are open and ready to welcome shoppers back after lockdown.
We have run 40
thirty second adverts on Capital Radio in the Rugby, Kenilworth, Leamington and
We have also placed
a print ad in Fresh Home & Living Magazine, which is distributed to 15,000
homes in the Rugby area.
And on Facebook we
will be running a competition to win £50 worth of shopping vouchers to spend in
our town centre shops.
The Government’s new campaign will run on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3rd to 31st August in café, coffee shops and restaurants that have registered to take part.
The promotion offers a 50% discount up to a maximum of £10 per person on food and non-alcoholic drinks to eat or drink in. It can be used an unlimited number of time by diners and excludes alcohol, service charges and takeaway.
- 13th July – Registration opens here .
- 3rd August – First date that you can offer the discount.
- 7th August – Start of reimbursement claims (but you must allow 7 days from date of registration to date of claiming reimbursement) which will be paid within 5 working days of claim.
- 31st August – Last date customers can use their vouchers.
- 30th September – End of scheme.
As well as downloading the promotional materials to show that you are taking part in the scheme, let us know too and we will promote your business on our Facebook page and Taste website.